Olympic opening ceremony boss sacked day before show ‘due to holocaust jokes’
The director of the opening ceremony of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics has been dismissed after reports about his past comments on the Holocaust.
Tokyo 2020 President Seiko Hashimoto told a briefing that Kentaro Kobayashi had been dismissed because of comments that made fun of the atrocity.
The opening ceremony of the delayed Olympic games is due to take place on Friday.
It comes after it emerged that Mr Kobayashi made light of the mass murder of six million Jews by the Nazis in a script for a 1998 comedy act, including saying, “Let’s play Holocaust.”
Jewish human rights group The Simon Wiesenthal Centre [SWC] had condemned what it called past anti-Semitic jokes.
SWC Associate Dean and Global Social Action Director, Rabbi Abraham Cooper said: “Any person, no matter how creative, does not have the right to mock the victims of the Nazi genocide.
“The Nazi regime also gassed Germans with disabilities. Any association of this person to the Tokyo Olympics would insult the memory of six million Jews and make a cruel mockery of the Paralympics.”
We’ll be bringing you the very latest updates, pictures and video on this breaking news story.
Get all the big headlines, pictures, analysis, opinion and video on the stories that matter to you by following The Mirror every time you see our name.
Follow The Mirror on Google News – CLICK HERE and click the star
Follow The Mirror on Apple News – CLICK HERE available on Apple devices
Follow The Mirror on Flipboard – CLICK HERE and click follow
Keep up-to-date with your must-see news, features, videos and pictures throughout the day by following us on Facebook at facebook.com/dailymirror
See all our social accounts you can follow here: mirror.co.uk/social